Friday, January 31, 2014

New Students, Old Books, Many Blessings.

Second week of classes completed.  Obstetrics is going well with the 2nd years, lots of fun questions!  My Communication and Introduction to Technology class with the 35 new 1st years is also going pretty well, lots of unforgettable moments already and I am learning lots of new names.  The second day of class I took them to the computer lab, 33 students present, 35 computers, but only 11 worked!!!  (Hopefully they will be fixed soon!  Prayers please!!)

Third day of class, while giving a lecture on study habits and distractions you can control and those you can't, a tree was being cut down just outside the classroom.  When it fell it scrapped the roof of the classroom and looked like it was going to come right though the window.  No one was hurt, the gutter can be fixed, and nothing more damaging can happen now that the rotten tree is down.  The tree and the chainsaw used to cut it down worked right into my lesson on distractions and those students will never forget our distractions that day! 

So, today was class 4 with the first years.  Basically, the class I'm teaching should be called "How to do well in College."  My lectures were on note taking and exam preparation.  Then we went to the Library again.  We had also been there on the second day of class.  I am overwhelmed by how overwhelmed they are with the Library; how much they love it and want to be in there and use the books.  Now, I love libraries too, but this one is quite small, a little dusty, hot, and has very old books, basically only a few newer than 2005. 

When I had given the students a tour of it last week, I stated that we are working on getting newer books and explained the situation.  They barely listened.  They wanted to read the ones in front of them!  Good lesson for me to appreciate what is right in front of me.  And I do, I am so thankful to be teaching students that have a hunger for knowledge!  Its such a wonderful blessing, and I love every moment of it.  And I'm starting to appreciate those old books too.  (But I can't wait till the new books get here!  Many of the Nazarene University Nursing departments in the U.S. are working on sending us used books and I am also working on purchasing new books as well with some funds designated for this project, but it is a long process.  Pray for this too!) 

Here are some pictures of the new first year students enjoying their "new" books! 
Lena, the Librarian, is helping Rose find information in a book and Naomi is smiling for the camera. 
 


 
The girls found the Obstetric books, they know how to make me proud already! 

Lucy at the magazine shelves. 

Isaac and Robert


Judith and Catherine, great smiles, hopefully good books! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can really see their excitement about those books! How cool!

    ReplyDelete