Friday, May 23, 2014

The Three P's

So it's been a while since I posted last. I've had computer issues and still do but I'm putting my other technology to use and writing this on the iPad. I'd been wanting to write about my obstetrics class for awhile. Classes finished 5 weeks ago but now we are working on applying those lessons in clinical. I mainly taught about the normal labor process this semester. One of the big lessons was on the three P's, power, passenger and passageway. These terms are referring to what is needed for labor to progress normally; sufficient contractions and then pushing effort from mom, a baby that is positioned correctly and isn't too large, and a passageway that allows that baby to move through it. The students did well learning the lessons and what is good and bad for each of these categories. We have a obstetric model that has helped me to demonstrate some of these lessons. I've found it quite Interesting that the model is Caucasian while the plastic baby doll that is always our "passenger" is the darkest skinned doll I've ever seen (and darker than any Melanesian baby around here). We use what's available! I've used a cloth book bag and towels to hide the baby in to help with identifying baby's position in the uterus and I've used a plastic bag coiled up to represent an umbilical cord and show cord prolapse. It's been fun and challenging to find hands on ways to engage the students, because hands on is a preferred learning method for many of them. I've also gotten to see how those lessons worked now that we are on the labor ward and are delivery babies. The Army way of "see one, do one, teach one" comes in a lot here. We try to get the students to see plenty of deliveries prior to doing a delivery and then they have to do 25 deliveries prior to graduating, but often the guys are so anxious to try their skills and teach them to the other students, that after one delivery they are feeling pretty confident and want to teach those who haven't been assigned to labor ward yet! Controlling this enthusiasm has been my struggle over that past 5 weeks. Constant reminders that two lives are in our hands works of a time! (I say guys because I've only had male students on the labor ward so far, missing my girls a lot but the guys are really doing quite well).
I've been thinking about three other P's recently as well. Presence, Prayer and Passion. Daily presence with my Heavenly Father, a lot of that being prayer and a continued passion to be here in Papua New Guinean despite all the continued challenges.
Also, over the past month our station power situation has been drastically improved because our hydroelectric power is up and running for the most part. A few kinks are still being worked out but it's amazing what having reliable power allows you to do! Like the dishes at 7:30pm, or a shower whenever it's needed, or reading a good book at night using a lamp and not a flashlight, things that rarely could happen before. That daily presence of power has really improved my overall outlook at times. Daily power outages are no longer the reality. It's also a great reminder of what the daily presence and power of God can do in our lives. Who knows what this continued passion will lead to, but I'm praying about the next few years and would also appreciate your prayers in this area.
Seven more weeks on the Maternity ward, then back for more lessons in the classroom, but never ending lessons continue with the Three P's here in Papua New Guinea.

Now a bit of my prayer recently, for my fellow coworkers here, all who are under that great commission and for myself-

But I do more than thank. I ask—ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory—to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him—endless energy, boundless strength! (Ephesians 1:16-19 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment