Friday, September 28, 2012

The most comfortable chair of the day

I've got about three months before I leave for PNG. I've got much that still needs to get done, but I'm not worrying about it. Truly, I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of concerns about how this will all come together, but there is still a peace that I'm clinging to. I've told myself concerns are ok, I mean, how else do you get anything done?!!
Today I read these verses to start off my day- "But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness."(James 3:17, 18 NLT)
Hmm, how to apply that today. --
I had an interesting day at work, and had some peaceful moments, where God worked through me, and a few moments where I got in the way of Jesus working (I can see looking back). Then, after all the work I needed to do was done this evening, I just felt God urge me spend some real quality time with Him. I went for a half hour drive out to my Grandparent's pond and cabin. There in an old rusty chair, surrounded by the changing fall colors, a cool breeze, the sound of birds and insects of all kinds, I really got to listen. Why had God wanted me to come out here, other than its one of my most favorite places on earth?!
After a few moments, I read the story of Mary and Martha and these verses, "But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41, 42 NLT)
Jesus knew exactly what Martha needed that day, just a dose of being at this feet, listening to Him, just like Mary had figured out. He knew I needed it too, before I started to run around again like Martha had.
Thank you Lord, for some extra special time with you this evening, and time to concentrate on the one thing worth being concerned about. Thank you for that place you provided, and for that rusty chair, where I got to sit at your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment